The Hood...

This TremorMUV build is destined to become a convertible AND a hard top 4 door truck. Watch this builders progress.

Moderator: the JoKeR

The Hood...

Postby photonmonkey » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:34 pm

Trial fit of the hood. Im hoping one of you can take a look and let me know if it looks ok. :?: ... and yes those welds are a little ugly..I do have some good ones.. really! :lol:

There is 1" between the back of the hood and the windshield support.

Also Im not sure how "flush" it should be with the outside of the hood supports. It's just a bit wider. The hood is not wide enough to fit to the outside of the supports, not narrow enough sit on top without either side falling off. (I know that may not be clear.. it's hard to describe)
It is level with the windshield support.
Last edited by photonmonkey on Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
photonmonkey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby photonmonkey » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:51 pm

I'm going to put my full pic library online, but I don't have the time to link it to an image browser yet..
photonmonkey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby the JoKeR » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:01 pm

That hood looks like it's in pretty good shape. Mind if I ask where you found it and how much it cost? Also, how about some stats on the Suburban as well for those out car shopping?

Oh yeah, you might find it useful to shorten the chain on the lift a bit. We found it a lot easier to get it to full vertical with the chain hook nice and tight up against the lift boom. I was tempted to use the load leveler like you did, but used Russ instead! :wink:
Come see what we're up to.

And now, for something completely different: http://www.locostusa.com/
the JoKeR

Postby photonmonkey » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:39 pm

The 'burban was $1400. 1979 4x4 with a 6.6L engine.

I'm a little fuzzy on the hood because I bundled it with the skins, seat belts, hood grill, and the roof. If I remember correctly it was a little higher than I wanted.. 700 comes to mind.. could have been 600. Its in very good shape, only a small area that needs to be sanded on the drivers side. Looks like it was dragged on the pavement for a couple of feet.
The roof was $400, its got a little damage on a corner that I should be able to bang out.

Now that I've got the roof and the skins it would be easy to make them myself if I get time.

All parts came from Paul at www.myhumvee.com

Still look'n for those door plans from Thomas!! $1600 clams is what Paul wanted for a good set of hard doors.
photonmonkey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby the JoKeR » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:38 pm

Um, make sure he defines very clearly what a "good set" of doors is... From what Thomas has said, I'd avoid anything with broken hinges, which probably cuts your choices in half at best. The more I talk to people about 'em, the more I'm deciding that waiting for the steel door plans is what I'm going to do. I'd hate to go through all this work only to have cracked and ugly doors. Besides, the flat steel doors look kind of mean! :twisted: Very fitting!

What are your plans for the turret hole? Sunroof or filled in?
Come see what we're up to.

And now, for something completely different: http://www.locostusa.com/
the JoKeR

Postby photonmonkey » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:27 pm

Yeah I've gotten the impression that doors can be a risky purchase. I may be wrong of course.

Im pretty sure I'll build my own at this point.
photonmonkey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby TREMORMUV » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:56 pm

I have to say, you're doing a fine job. Fitment (if that's a word) of the hood to the TremorMUV frame looks great. Take a look at the build CDROM and you'll see I basically held my hood on the exact same way the first time I trial fit it on the prototype.

As for doors, I plan on writing up a section all about doors. "Pristine or Pass" is really the approach you need to take on the military surplus kevlar doors.

I paid $1600 for three doors, and Paul threw in the fourth door for free because it was broken (badly cracked) at the hinge. For this article I'll be writing up, I'm going to include numerous photos of the doors on the prototype. You'll see what marginal condition doors look like after a year and a half on the road. Needless to say, they are in very sad shape. Am I disappointed? In Paul absolutely not, as he warned me about using a broken door. In the doors I am however. They do not take to repairs well. Basically unless they're perfect, I wouldn't buy them for that kind of money. If you could however get a set of damaged ones REALLY CHEAP, like in the couple hundred dollar range, then I'd say fine. They'd last you a couple years maybe before falling off the truck. But $1600 clams... nope, not again.

Civilian doors are another story. The real things are steel, and can be worked back into shape if they're damaged. Reproduction doors in fiberglass are also great. It's just these broken kevlar doors that have great potential for giving you endless grief.

Because of this, I am developing the door plan set. They'll give you good solid doors that'll last a long time, will be solid, and offer modern power windows etc etc.

I'm working on them, and will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thomas
Tremor<sup>MUV</sup>
TREMORMUV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby indianvb » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi there,

From where i can buy used hood or a new hood ?
Any website you can refer to me would be helpful.

Thanks,
PS
indianvb
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Photonmonkeys Hardtop Convertible TremorMUV Build