surplus parts and steel

Follow along this TremorMUV build as it progresses from a pile of steel to a finished vehicle.

Moderator: the JoKeR

surplus parts and steel

Postby Iggyg00 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 pm

got the tailgate a couple of weeks ago and also found a hood close by for 60 bucks. the hood had a broken right corner which i ordered a replacement piece from nak-nak. Also started to get the steel, prices are definatly going up. i bought most of the steel out of the scrap building of a big steel distributer in my town at .50 cents a pound. he said that the steel would be more than i was paying for it if i bought it new. Now all i need is the 2x2 square tubing. thats going to be a hefty chunck of change if i cant find a place cheaper. I will be posting the steel thickness that i went with when i pick the rest up in a few weeks.
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby CAPPS » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:41 pm

I noticed a couple of Steel distributors on the internet. They take your information and put it out for bids. Has anyone tried the RFQ process online?
CAPPS
TremorMUV Mentor
TremorMUV Mentor

Postby Iggyg00 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:41 pm

i will try it if you tell me where to go.
i need to save im still in college and dont have a check coming in once a week.
i wish i did tho
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Iggyg00 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:53 am

Finally got the rest of the steel shipped to my house for free. 12- 24 ft lengths and got a extra 25 percent off because im a student so it worked out well. the build will begin this weekend. i also finished fiberglassing the hood that i was working on now all it needs is a sanding and paint.
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby the JoKeR » Tue May 18, 2004 4:15 pm

25% off?? That's huge! Did you find a local place or go through the RFQ method mentioned earlier? For that kind of discount, it'd be time for me to get another degree!
Come see what we're up to.

And now, for something completely different: http://www.locostusa.com/
the JoKeR

Postby Iggyg00 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:59 am

I went through a local steel company in my home town. looked on there website and they had a form for students to get either a 25% off steel price or 50% off of cutting price. what was even better was when i went down and they said that shipping was free cause i was local so i have 24 ft lenghts coming to my house instead of 10 ft. Thank god my parents are cool about me using the 3 car garage at my house. right now it is full of my windshield frame, my 1970 olds delta 88 that i got when i was 13 and restored, metal for the frame, my hood, and the saw horses i built. i cant wait to get the build done and have a nice car that runs compared to my gmc jimmy
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby CAPPS » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:31 am

Have you started your welding yet? What is your current status?
CAPPS
TremorMUV Mentor
TremorMUV Mentor

Postby Iggyg00 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:59 pm

Well lets see. I have two more sections of the build to do. I was at NASA in maryland for the last 3 months working on a type of electric propulsion so not much got done. Know that i have a week before going back to school i will hopefully have the final two sections done and have all final welds done. We will see tho. Ironed out some more details for the build.

1. there will be a chevy 350 with a banks twin turbo kit on it
2. rear quarters will be carbon fiber
3. dash will be carbon fiber
4. hard doors
5. Also got a micro controller that will be hooked to a touch screen so that all components within the truck can be activated from this.

well thats it so far i will hopefully put pics up soon on the web we will see
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby the JoKeR » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:34 pm

If you need a place to host the pics, let me know. You can e-mail them to me as well and I'll take care of them for you.

I'd like to see what you've gotten done so far.

the JoKeR

Postby Iggyg00 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:56 pm

Hey,
joker if I can get your email address I will email you the pics. I finally got them from my moms digital camera.
Iggyg00
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby the JoKeR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:39 am

You can e-mail them to jeff@midwestwelding.com or you can create a folder and upload them directly to http://groups.msn.com/TremorMUVPictures/shoebox.msnw

From there, you can link the images to this site. Let me know if you need help on doing that.

the JoKeR

Return to Iggyg00's TremorMUV Build