The Rebuild

Following this TremorMUV construction from a builder with a style that is sure to impress!

Moderator: the JoKeR

The Rebuild

Postby Builder2B » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:44 pm

So I've completed tearing down the donor. I didn't really save all that much... I took the everything is replaceable route... slightly more expensive... but in the long run... I think it will pay off. A new rig inside and out...
Remember... A before O... or UP you will GO!

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby Builder2B » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:55 am

Spent an hour today power washing the frame, engine and anything else that was within reach... took a few pictures... from here on in pictures will be posted in the pictures only area.

Took a snap shot of me in the drivers seat... or at least where it will be one day! :wink:

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby Builder2B » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:06 pm

At this time I should take the time to set a few things straight... first of all... I am working without the use of an air compressor... so all the wrenching is done by hand... and hammer! Secondly... most of the work... is being done solo...

So today I pulled the engine and manual tranny... seperated the tranny from motor... and pulled that... than pulled motor... had one of my neighbours come over and help with the heavy lifting... so now it is bare rolling frame... going to power wash it again this afternoon... and than roll it in the garage for cleaning and painting.

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Builder2B Frame Prep

Postby unlimited171 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:47 pm

take your time on cleaning your frame getting rid of the rust etc, and then take account of what suspension parts you need, makes it alot easier when it is clean to change ball joints, tie rods and bushings, think long and hard about what type of coating you will put on your frame and components, just pm me and I can let you know what I used.
unlimited171
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Builder2B » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:48 am

Well as for the coating on the frame, suspension and steering linkages... I was going to wire wheel them with the grinder... getting them down to bare metal... than use POR15 Chassis... or good old reliable Tremclad...

I'm not looking to make a show truck... I will be driving it in the rain, sleet, snow and MUD!

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby 99GT » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:33 am

POR15, it's great stuff also it came down in price, well at least for us Canadian

i used POR15 silver base on my frame since it was badly pitted , I put 2 coats on it
3 coats of primer filler sanded down the hole thing and you can?t even see the pitted area anymore, the frame look brand new. In your case if you don?t really care about look, just
clean the frame, apply POR15 then top coat with they?re chassis black
I used 3 4oz can of base coat, I figure 3 cans of top coat will be needed
I was amazed how much coverage you get with one little 4oz can.
Oh yea, it is as toughs as they advertised, I bashed the paint can lid with a hammer and the paint never chip, I tried scratching it with a penny and you could not scratch it
You really have to try hard to scratch to lift that paint off
i get my POR15 at http://www.por15canada.com/can/index.htm they are im montreal region

there also these guy's in Ontario http://www.canada-por15.com/recreational-vehicles.htm
Frankenstein project
99GT
TremorMUV Mentor
TremorMUV Mentor

Postby Builder2B » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Decided to go with a POR Base... and Ashfalt Undercoat for the Rough Look...

Took a few minutes today to clean out the garage of misc SH!T... and than pushed the stripped down Chassis into the garage... what a tight fit... hahaha... only a single and a quarter garage... with tool boxes and benches... and my MONKEY! Will snap some more pictures of inside garage... and work areas...

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Postby Builder2B » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:38 pm

Well I've been spending time stripping off little odds and ends off the frame. Different brackets, and line holders, wire keepers etc... Also giving it a hit with the wire brush on the grinder.

Going to start shootin the frame soon.

Built... NOT BOUGHT!

1977 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4
350 Automatic
Builder2B
Journeyman
Journeyman

Return to Builder2B is a Builder on a Mission